Jahii Carson cleared, returns to ASU basketball practice
The talented sophomore out of Mesa High School was on the court, as a full participant Monday for the first time since practice began on Sept. 30.
Carson, who averaged a team-high 18.5 points and 5.1 assists last season, had missed the first week because of a stress reaction in his right leg.
"He did some 5-on-0 and some minimal shooting at the end of last week," Sendek said of the reigning Pac-12 Co-Freshman of the Year. "He says he feels great; all the discomfort that he had is gone. It seems like it was a good path to take and just giving him a couple of weeks to feel better."
Carson had been going non-stop all summer between invitation-only camps (Nike Point Guard Skills Academy featuring Deron Williams and Kyrie Irving, LeBron James Skills Academy and adidas Nations Global Challenge) and the team's August trip to China.
"One thing about Jahii, I think, is he loves the game. He loves to be in the gym and he loves to play and he loves to practice," Sendek said.
This is likely Carson's final season at ASU, where expectations have never been higher, at least in terms of the Sun Devils looking to return to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2009.
"(Carson is) tremendously driven with basketball," Sendek said Monday. "He wants to be, not only the best player at ASU that he can be this year helping us win as many games as possible, but ultimately he wants to be the best NBA player he can be.
"Basketball is really important to him. He takes this seriously. He looks at this as a centerpiece in his life. He wants to leave a great legacy here at ASU, and then beyond that he wants to play in the NBA for as long and as successfully as he can. Basketball is important to him."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?