Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 4:16 pm
ASU's Carrick Felix a source of pride for head coach Herb Sendek
The 6-foot-6 forward had just got done with a junior season in which he averaged 10 points and four rebounds per game and shooting 42 percent from the field for a team that went 10-21.
A year later, after a solid senior season in which he averaged 14.6 points and eight rebounds per game, Felix is very much on the NBA radar as a possible second round pick.
"It's truly one of the best stories that I've personally witnessed and been associated with in my many years of coaching," ASU head coach Herb Sendek told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday. "It didn't come overnight, it didn't come easy, there were detours, there were moments when you wondered when it would all end.
"A year ago, if you would have walked into 30 NBA front offices, probably 30 out of 30, they don't know his name. And he gave us not only brilliant play, but the best leadership we've ever had."
Felix led the Pac-12 with 13 double-doubles in 2012-13 and was a Pac-12 All-Defensive Team and First Team All-Pac-12 Academic Team selection -- two honors, according to Sendek, Felix almost didn't get the chance to work toward.
"Nobody really recruited him in Division-I, he went to junior college at the College of Southern Idaho. He was going to go to Duke, but it didn't work out and he ended up coming to Arizona State," Sendek recalled.
"By Halloween of his first year at Arizona State, I was calling he and his mom in and saying 'you know, Carrick, if you don't change some of your habits and your approach here, this isn't going to work out and you're going to be off the team. It doesn't get much closer to the curb than that."
But Sendek says Felix did change his ways and the light bulb really went on for the Goodyear Millennium High School product.
"He just said 'enough' and he started working and his leadership changed. One of the things I loved about it the most is, he didn't have a bad day," he said. "Smiled every day, always upbeat, an energy giver. You know, not a moody guy.
"And now, we're all cheering for him Thursday night, hopefully his name is going to be called."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.