Updated Jun 10, 2013 - 2:18 pm
Sporting News ranks Jahii Carson as nation's fourth-best point guard
A freshman last season, Carson averaged 18.5 points and 5.1 assists per game on the way to being Co-Pac-12 Freshman of the Year. He helped the Sun Devils to 22 wins and a spot on the NCAA Tournament bubble, and while the team is losing some talent, much is expected of them as long as the 5-foot-10 star is running the offense.
After all, he is one of the best point guards in the country. Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy ranked the nation's top-10 floor generals, with the Sun Devil coming in fourth, trailing Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart, Kentucky's Andrew Harrison and Indiana's Yogi Ferrell.
Carson is a high-risk/high-reward player, in part because he had to be. In order for ASU to come as close as it did to reaching the NCAAs last season, Carson had to gamble more than some of the other great playmakers. If he can manage his turnover numbers and make a few more 3s and, most important, get to the tournament, his talents could be truly appreciated. It's hard—no, all but impossible—to make All-American from the NIT.
As DeCourcy notes, Carson's image would be boosted with a successful season from the team as a whole, though it's hard (and perhaps unfair) to fault a player for his supporting cast.
At any rate, Carson is no longer ASU's secret, and it will be up to him to continue to live up to the top billing he is receiving.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.