Updated Jun 10, 2013 - 2:18 pm
Sporting News ranks Jahii Carson as nation's fourth-best point guard
A freshman last season, Carson averaged 18.5 points and 5.1 assists per game on the way to being Co-Pac-12 Freshman of the Year. He helped the Sun Devils to 22 wins and a spot on the NCAA Tournament bubble, and while the team is losing some talent, much is expected of them as long as the 5-foot-10 star is running the offense.
After all, he is one of the best point guards in the country. Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy ranked the nation's top-10 floor generals, with the Sun Devil coming in fourth, trailing Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart, Kentucky's Andrew Harrison and Indiana's Yogi Ferrell.
Carson is a high-risk/high-reward player, in part because he had to be. In order for ASU to come as close as it did to reaching the NCAAs last season, Carson had to gamble more than some of the other great playmakers. If he can manage his turnover numbers and make a few more 3s and, most important, get to the tournament, his talents could be truly appreciated. It's hard—no, all but impossible—to make All-American from the NIT.
As DeCourcy notes, Carson's image would be boosted with a successful season from the team as a whole, though it's hard (and perhaps unfair) to fault a player for his supporting cast.
At any rate, Carson is no longer ASU's secret, and it will be up to him to continue to live up to the top billing he is receiving.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?