Arizona State athletic director Steve Patterson is excited to see ASU senior Carrick Felix participate in Thursday night's Division I College Slam Dunk Contest.
But that's not all he's excited about.
Patterson, told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf that he's looking forward to seeing the 6-foot-6 swingman selected in the 2013 NBA Draft.
"There's a lot of teams that are interested in him, particularly in the second round," the former Portland Trail Blazers general manager said.
The 2013 Pac-12 Scholar Athlete of the Year played his final season at ASU with graduate status after earning his bachelor's degree in 2012.
During his senior season, Felix was selected as Pac-12 Player of the Week three times and posted 13 double-doubles.
"He plays great defense and finished his master's degree, he's a solid kid," Patterson said. "People are excited about him."
Felix, who entered the season a long-shot to even be considered as an NBA Draft pick, averaged 14.6 points, 8.1 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game, which Patterson believes will translate well to the pros.
"He's a good person to have on a 15-man roster in the NBA," he said. "I think he's going to get picked and he's going to have a good chance to make it."
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 30ESPN college football analyst Mark May says the wheels could come off for ASU in a hurry.
- Rocky Harris - ASU Senior Associate Athletic Director - Wednesday September 24Arizona State Senior Associate Athletic Direct Rocky Harris expects a sellout when the Sun Devils fa
- Chris Foster - Los Angeles Times - Wednesday September 24Los Angeles Times reporter Chris Foster gives the UCLA perspective on Thursday night's game.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Wednesday September 24AZCentral sports reporter Doug Haller previews Arizona State's matchup with UCLA.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday September 24Dan discusses the newly found connection between the Arizona Cardinals and the Arizona State Sun Dev