Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 6:55 pm
ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek: We aren't taking NIT opponent Detroit lightly
Wednesday night, the Sun Devils host Detroit at Wells Fargo Arena in the first round of the tournament, and Sendek said his team won't take the Titans lightly.
"They were in the NCAA tournament last year, and the one thing that really stands out as you look at their team is their experience," Sendek told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Tuesday. "They have a bunch of fourth or fifth-year guys on their team."
Detroit had a fairly impressive regular season, going 20-11 overall and 12-4 in the Horizon League. The Titans' record is even more noteworthy given the fact they played a tough non-conference schedule that featured games against Akron, Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Temple.
While Sendek noted Detroit's experience-laden roster, for the Sun Devils to win Wednesday night, he believes they'll need to play a stout game defensively.
"They're also a team that's eighth in the nation in scoring," said Sendek. "They do it in a variety of ways, but certainly making over seven threes a game, it's an area we really need to address. A lot like Stanford, they're going to have four sometimes five three-point shooters on the floor."
Although ASU will have its hands full guarding against the Titans' offensive attack, the tougher task might be defending against the disappointment of not making the NCAA tournament.
Still, Sendek said the message is a simple one heading into the NIT.
"How can we not be motivated?" said Sendek of his message to his players. "We have another great opportunity, we get to play tomorrow night on ESPNU in front our own family, friends and ASU community. How can we not get excited to play?"
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?