Arizona State athletic director Steve Patterson believes anyone can win the Pac-12 Tournament.
He also acknowledges that is pretty much the Sun Devils' only option if their goal is to play in a postseason tournament not called the NIT.
"I think for us it's tough to get in the NCAA dance unless we probably win the Pac-12 Tournament," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
The Devils, who enter the Pac-12 Tournament as the nine seed, will square off with Stanford Wednesday afternoon. Should they top the Cardinal, a date with UCLA awaits them Thursday.
It will be a tough road, and one the team is not expected to travel.
Which then begs the question: Assuming the Sun Devils do not get an invitation to the dance, was the 2012-13 season a success?
"I think we've made a lot of progress from a year ago," Patterson said, noting the improvement in win total (10 to 20). "I think you look at the engagement of the fan base, it's dramatically improved.
"I think you look at the play of the team and the way some of the players have come from where they were, how they developed."
Patterson pointed to senior Carrick Felix, terming his improvement as "dramatic," and said he truly believes this season represented a step forward for the program.
And of course, the season is not yet over.
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Ray Anderson, ASU athletic director - Wednesday October 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses the Sun Devils overcoming adversity after their loss to
- Jake Plummer - Former Cardinals and Sun Devil quarterback - Wednesday October 1Former Arizona State and Cardinal quarterback Jake Plummer discusses the latest in college football
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 30ESPN college football analyst Mark May says the wheels could come off for ASU in a hurry.
- Rocky Harris - ASU Senior Associate Athletic Director - Wednesday September 24Arizona State Senior Associate Athletic Direct Rocky Harris expects a sellout when the Sun Devils fa
- Chris Foster - Los Angeles Times - Wednesday September 24Los Angeles Times reporter Chris Foster gives the UCLA perspective on Thursday night's game.