ASU coach: This season has been a great success
ASU's record was 14-2 following a Jan. 10 win over Oregon State, and there was plenty of optimism surrounding the program and its future.
The Devils have gone 6-9 since, and barring a Pac-12 Tournament championship, are likely to miss the NCAA Tournament for the eighth time in the last nine years.
Yet, when it's all said and done, ASU head coach Herb Sendek believes his team's season should be viewed in a positive light.
"Obviously there's different levels of success," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "Obviously the ultimate is to win the championship. Obviously you want to go to the NCAA Tournament.
"But I think if you look at the totality of the season, if you look our start point and the progress we've made on a lot of different levels -- and some of the further reaching future ramifications of those -- absolutely it's been a great success."
Be it the development of Jahii Carson, Carrick Felix and Jordan Bachynski or the fact that the Sun Devils knocked off the likes of California, UCLA and Colorado (twice), there are positives to be gleaned from this season. However, Sendek admitted there are some goals the team didn't reach, and the team has no one to blame but itself.
"Let's be honest," he said. "We've lost seven games in our conference that came down to the last possession or two, and in those games we have shot roughly 50 percent from the foul line.
"You can't help being a human being and look at and say, 'Yeah, it's been successful, but you've got to be kidding me.' Just by the law of averages that should play out to your favor a little bit better."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- UFC Legend Dan "Hendo" Henderson - Saturday June 15UFC great Dan Henderson joins The Power MMA Show to preview his UFC 161 bout vs Rashad Evans.
- Steve Patterson, ASU AD - Tuesday June 4Will Notre Dame be on the ASU football schedule? And, what does he think of E. Gordon Gee's comments
- Jeff Pendergraph, Indiana Pacers forward - Tuesday June 4Pacer and former ASU basketball player Jeff Pendergraph talks about Indiana's run in the playoffs
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 30What will be discussed at the upcoming meeting with the other Pac-12 athletic directors?
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works