Updated Mar 12, 2013 - 1:43 pm
ASU coach: This season has been a great success
ASU's record was 14-2 following a Jan. 10 win over Oregon State, and there was plenty of optimism surrounding the program and its future.
The Devils have gone 6-9 since, and barring a Pac-12 Tournament championship, are likely to miss the NCAA Tournament for the eighth time in the last nine years.
Yet, when it's all said and done, ASU head coach Herb Sendek believes his team's season should be viewed in a positive light.
"Obviously there's different levels of success," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "Obviously the ultimate is to win the championship. Obviously you want to go to the NCAA Tournament.
"But I think if you look at the totality of the season, if you look our start point and the progress we've made on a lot of different levels -- and some of the further reaching future ramifications of those -- absolutely it's been a great success."
Be it the development of Jahii Carson, Carrick Felix and Jordan Bachynski or the fact that the Sun Devils knocked off the likes of California, UCLA and Colorado (twice), there are positives to be gleaned from this season. However, Sendek admitted there are some goals the team didn't reach, and the team has no one to blame but itself.
"Let's be honest," he said. "We've lost seven games in our conference that came down to the last possession or two, and in those games we have shot roughly 50 percent from the foul line.
"You can't help being a human being and look at and say, 'Yeah, it's been successful, but you've got to be kidding me.' Just by the law of averages that should play out to your favor a little bit better."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU athletic director hopes to make 'significant improvements' to men's basketball team
- Flat start dooms Sun Devils in loss to Ducks: By the Numbers
- Have the Sun Devils done enough to earn an NCAA Tournament invite?
- In Carson's last home game, Sun Devils rout Bears
- ASU guard Jahii Carson will not return for junior season
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.