Updated Mar 5, 2013 - 11:05 pm
ASU AD Steve Patterson says the Pac-12 tournament is up for grabs
The chances of ASU making the NCAA tournament may be slim, and a win in the Pac-12 tournament could be the Devils best shot of getting a bid on Selection Sunday.
But, the team's athletic director Steve Patterson believes the Pac-12 tourney could very well be up for grabs, due to the parity in the conference.
"Certainly it's disappointing to lose at UCLA and at USC but you look at this conference this year and I don't know who wins the tournament," Patterson said. "Everybody's beaten everybody at some point and time. We're going to go over there next week and you know darn well there is going to be a couple of upsets and once that happens everything breaks loose, who knows what happens."
The Devils have one crucial game left before the Pac-12 tournament, and that comes on the road against their bitter rival Arizona. A win over the Wildcats could shake things up even further in the competitive conference.
Patterson made it clear how badly he wants to grab a win over the 'Cats.
"We gotta go down there, win that one," Patterson stated. "I want to win that one."
While ASU remains on the bubble at 20-10 overall and 9-8 in Pac-12 play, Patterson said the team is taking it one game at a time.
"I think we just have to look at it one game ahead," Patterson explained. "We're going to look at U of A, then we're going to look at the tournament, whoever we wind up getting matched up with we are going to go play and you look at who won it last year, nobody expected them to win it and they got into the tournament."
ASU will likely have to follow the same path if they hope to go dancing.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU athletic director hopes to make 'significant improvements' to men's basketball team
- Flat start dooms Sun Devils in loss to Ducks: By the Numbers
- Have the Sun Devils done enough to earn an NCAA Tournament invite?
- In Carson's last home game, Sun Devils rout Bears
- ASU guard Jahii Carson will not return for junior season
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 football analyst - Wednesday March 5Why is the drop back quarterback losing steam in college football?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 4Herb Sendek talks about the upcoming game against Oregon, and the decision to come home in between r