Updated Mar 5, 2013 - 11:05 pm
ASU AD Steve Patterson says the Pac-12 tournament is up for grabs
The chances of ASU making the NCAA tournament may be slim, and a win in the Pac-12 tournament could be the Devils best shot of getting a bid on Selection Sunday.
But, the team's athletic director Steve Patterson believes the Pac-12 tourney could very well be up for grabs, due to the parity in the conference.
"Certainly it's disappointing to lose at UCLA and at USC but you look at this conference this year and I don't know who wins the tournament," Patterson said. "Everybody's beaten everybody at some point and time. We're going to go over there next week and you know darn well there is going to be a couple of upsets and once that happens everything breaks loose, who knows what happens."
The Devils have one crucial game left before the Pac-12 tournament, and that comes on the road against their bitter rival Arizona. A win over the Wildcats could shake things up even further in the competitive conference.
Patterson made it clear how badly he wants to grab a win over the 'Cats.
"We gotta go down there, win that one," Patterson stated. "I want to win that one."
While ASU remains on the bubble at 20-10 overall and 9-8 in Pac-12 play, Patterson said the team is taking it one game at a time.
"I think we just have to look at it one game ahead," Patterson explained. "We're going to look at U of A, then we're going to look at the tournament, whoever we wind up getting matched up with we are going to go play and you look at who won it last year, nobody expected them to win it and they got into the tournament."
ASU will likely have to follow the same path if they hope to go dancing.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Shaquielle McKissic wins appeal, will return to ASU for another year
- ASU head coach Herb Sendek: Team will play 'more difficult' schedule in 2014-15
- ASU's Jahii Carson officially headed to NBA Draft
- Arizona State vs. Texas ranked as one of the top 2014 NCAA Tournament games
- Report: Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman resigns
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.