Updated Feb 16, 2013 - 10:39 pm
Fork Report: Gordon's buzzer-beater leads ASU to crucial road win over Colorado
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you a fork report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU's overtime win against Colorado on February 16. Final score: ASU 63, Colorado 62
With their tournament hopes on the line, ASU desperately needed someone to step up in a hostile environment Saturday night against Colorado. They got the clutch performance they were seeking, but from an unlikely hero.
Evan Gordon, who was replaced by Chris Colvin in the starting lineup, hit a buzzer-beating layup in overtime to lead ASU to victory in a game they very much needed to stay in contention for a tournament berth. Gordon scored 14 points for the Devils off the bench.
Jahii Carson led the scoring charge for the Devils with 18 points and four assists. Carson had averaged a team-high 17.6 points per game prior to Saturday's contest.
ASU's struggles from the free-throw line worsened as they shot 10 of 17 for the night, which was below their season average of 61%.
The Devils also were cold from three-point range, hitting just 29% from downtown. For the season, they have made 34% from behind the three-point line.
• ASU improved to 19-7 overall and 8-5 in Pac-12 play this season.
• With their overtime win Saturday night, ASU complete a sweep against Colorado this year.
ASU will host Washington State on Wednesday, February 20. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 8:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU athletic director hopes to make 'significant improvements' to men's basketball team
- Flat start dooms Sun Devils in loss to Ducks: By the Numbers
- Have the Sun Devils done enough to earn an NCAA Tournament invite?
- In Carson's last home game, Sun Devils rout Bears
- ASU guard Jahii Carson will not return for junior season
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 football analyst - Wednesday March 5Why is the drop back quarterback losing steam in college football?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.