Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 4:46 pm
Sendek perplexed by ASU's poor free throw shooting
By definition, they're easy points. But they've been anything but easy for the Arizona State Sun Devils.
Herb Sendek's team is connecting on just 62.1 percent of its free throw attempts this year and have left 191 points at the stripe.
"Free throw shooting is a really important part of the game, and honestly it's something that we've done really poorly -- I wish I had an easy answer for it," Sendek told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620. "It certainly makes it more difficult."
The Devils rank dead last in the Pac-12 in free throw shooting and 329th in the nation -- out of 345 Division I teams.
Their lack of prowess at the line has been especially painful in their last two losses. In a four-point defeat at Washington February 2, ASU hit just 6-of-12 attempts. Last Saturday in a three-point loss against Stanford in Tempe, the Sun Devils shot just 50 percent again, hitting 8-of-16.
Sendek channeled his inner-football coach to further explain.
"It would be like driving the length of the field and getting to the other team's 20, not cashing in for a touchdown and missing the field goal, too. It's tough. Or if you score a touchdown and only get six because you shank the extra point, it makes it hard.
"When you're playing against good competition, those points are just invaluable -- that's why they're always saying put points on the board when you can."
Maybe some Sun Devils should take Sendek's football analogy to heart and try to kick the ball in from the free throw line. For instance, Chris Colvin's Pac-12 free throw percentage of 18.8 can't get much worse, right?
I kid, I kid.
For comparison's sake, last year's team that posted a dismal 10-21 record shot 67.7 percent on free throw attempts -- good for sixth in the conference.
The Sun Devils (18-6, 7-4) travel to Utah Wednesday night and Colorado Saturday on a crucial Pac-12 road trip.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU lands forward Savon Goodman
- Shaquielle McKissic wins appeal, will return to ASU for another year
- ASU head coach Herb Sendek: Team will play 'more difficult' schedule in 2014-15
- ASU's Jahii Carson officially headed to NBA Draft
- Arizona State vs. Texas ranked as one of the top 2014 NCAA Tournament games
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.