Updated Feb 8, 2013 - 9:29 pm
Jay Bilas: 'Arizona State is absolutely a tournament team'
Bilas told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he believes, barring an ASU meltdown, "Arizona State is absolutely a tournament team."
He said ASU is in his 'Bilas Index' (ESPN insider), which measures basketball merit and determines which teams can and can't play in the NCAA Tournament. The index takes into account each team's RPI (Ratings Percentage Index) and BPI (Basketball Power Index), which are both methods of calculating a team's strength of schedule.
"They're in the margin with their RPI and BPI where they still have work to do, they're in the fifties and if you're in the top 40 of the RPI … you're going to get in the tournament," he said. "If you're in 40 to 50 you're a bubble team, if you're outside of 50, if it ended today you'd probably wind up getting left out considering how many automatic bids there are in the tournament. There's obviously still some work to do for a team like Arizona State."
Bilas said metrics such as RPI and BPI are important because the tournament selection committee uses them to organize information and ultimately choose who gets to go dancing.
"The way the data is organized, it's probably the way it's organized in the voter's minds," he said.
- ASU athletic director hopes to make 'significant improvements' to men's basketball team
- Flat start dooms Sun Devils in loss to Ducks: By the Numbers
- Have the Sun Devils done enough to earn an NCAA Tournament invite?
- In Carson's last home game, Sun Devils rout Bears
- ASU guard Jahii Carson will not return for junior season
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.