According to ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas, Arizona State will be invited to the big dance for the first time since the 2008-09 season.
Bilas told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he believes, barring an ASU meltdown, "Arizona State is absolutely a tournament team."
He said ASU is in his 'Bilas Index' (ESPN insider), which measures basketball merit and determines which teams can and can't play in the NCAA Tournament. The index takes into account each team's RPI (Ratings Percentage Index) and BPI (Basketball Power Index), which are both methods of calculating a team's strength of schedule.
"They're in the margin with their RPI and BPI where they still have work to do, they're in the fifties and if you're in the top 40 of the RPI … you're going to get in the tournament," he said. "If you're in 40 to 50 you're a bubble team, if you're outside of 50, if it ended today you'd probably wind up getting left out considering how many automatic bids there are in the tournament. There's obviously still some work to do for a team like Arizona State."
Bilas said metrics such as RPI and BPI are important because the tournament selection committee uses them to organize information and ultimately choose who gets to go dancing.
"The way the data is organized, it's probably the way it's organized in the voter's minds," he said.
- New-look Arizona State Sun Devils will rely on defense in 2014-15
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Mike Bercovici, ASU quarterback - Monday October 20ASU quarterback Mike Bercovici says it was nice to take back the crown and get the win against Stanf
- Rick Neuheisel - Pac-12 Network Analyst - Friday October 17Rick Neuheisel believes it could be a rough weekend for the Sun Devils against Stanford.
- Todd Graham, ASU Head Football Coach - Friday October 17ASU football head coach Todd Graham says if Taylor Kelly feels he is ready to play he will play.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday October 15ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses the upcoming weekend for ASU Athletics.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday October 14ESPN college football analyst Mark May says anyone can win the Pac-12 South.