According to ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas, Arizona State will be invited to the big dance for the first time since the 2008-09 season.
Bilas told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he believes, barring an ASU meltdown, "Arizona State is absolutely a tournament team."
He said ASU is in his 'Bilas Index' (ESPN insider), which measures basketball merit and determines which teams can and can't play in the NCAA Tournament. The index takes into account each team's RPI (Ratings Percentage Index) and BPI (Basketball Power Index), which are both methods of calculating a team's strength of schedule.
"They're in the margin with their RPI and BPI where they still have work to do, they're in the fifties and if you're in the top 40 of the RPI … you're going to get in the tournament," he said. "If you're in 40 to 50 you're a bubble team, if you're outside of 50, if it ended today you'd probably wind up getting left out considering how many automatic bids there are in the tournament. There's obviously still some work to do for a team like Arizona State."
Bilas said metrics such as RPI and BPI are important because the tournament selection committee uses them to organize information and ultimately choose who gets to go dancing.
"The way the data is organized, it's probably the way it's organized in the voter's minds," he said.
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Mike Norvell- ASU offensive coordinator - Thursday September 18Mike Norvell expresses his confidence in Mike Bercovici as a quarterback.
- D.J. Foster, ASU running back - Wednesday September 17D.J. Foster talks about why he chose to stay home and be a Sun Devil
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday September 17Ray Anderson explains why he and Todd Graham donated a combined $1,000,000 to the ASU stadium renova
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 Network analyst - Wednesday September 17Pac-12 Network analyst Rick Neuheisel breaks down the first few weeks of Pac-12 football.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 16ESPN college football analyst Mark May says ASU's game plan will have to change with backup QB Mike