According to ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas, Arizona State will be invited to the big dance for the first time since the 2008-09 season.
Bilas told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he believes, barring an ASU meltdown, "Arizona State is absolutely a tournament team."
He said ASU is in his 'Bilas Index' (ESPN insider), which measures basketball merit and determines which teams can and can't play in the NCAA Tournament. The index takes into account each team's RPI (Ratings Percentage Index) and BPI (Basketball Power Index), which are both methods of calculating a team's strength of schedule.
"They're in the margin with their RPI and BPI where they still have work to do, they're in the fifties and if you're in the top 40 of the RPI … you're going to get in the tournament," he said. "If you're in 40 to 50 you're a bubble team, if you're outside of 50, if it ended today you'd probably wind up getting left out considering how many automatic bids there are in the tournament. There's obviously still some work to do for a team like Arizona State."
Bilas said metrics such as RPI and BPI are important because the tournament selection committee uses them to organize information and ultimately choose who gets to go dancing.
"The way the data is organized, it's probably the way it's organized in the voter's minds," he said.
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Ray Anderson, ASU athletic director - Wednesday October 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses the Sun Devils overcoming adversity after their loss to
- Jake Plummer - Former Cardinals and Sun Devil quarterback - Wednesday October 1Former Arizona State and Cardinal quarterback Jake Plummer discusses the latest in college football
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 30ESPN college football analyst Mark May says the wheels could come off for ASU in a hurry.
- Rocky Harris - ASU Senior Associate Athletic Director - Wednesday September 24Arizona State Senior Associate Athletic Direct Rocky Harris expects a sellout when the Sun Devils fa
- Chris Foster - Los Angeles Times - Wednesday September 24Los Angeles Times reporter Chris Foster gives the UCLA perspective on Thursday night's game.