Fork Report: Sun Devils escape with win over California
The Good: Ruslan Pateev, "the ultimate team player" according to head coach Herb Sendek, finished with as many points (12) as he had in his last four games combined. The scoring effort tied his career-high and he also grabbed eight rebounds (five on the offensive end).
Meanwhile, Evan Gordon led all scorers with 23 points. It was his fourth 20-point performance of the season.
The Bad: After taking a 15-point lead with 8:24 to play, the Sun Devils would score only one more field goal the rest of the game. They missed eight of their final nine shots at the basket while turning it over four times. ASU ended the game with 17 turnovers, 11 coming in the second half.
He Said It:
"We were a little bit like somebody who is forced to drive a stick shift but never had a real good lesson," Sendek said of his team's play down the stretch.
• Carrick Felix left the game three different times late in the second half after getting poked in the eye. He had some difficulty with his vision according to Sendek, who then added, "I just spoke with the doctors and he seems to be recovering fine."
• Jahii Carson's five turnovers were his most since conference play began. Last week against the Washington schools, he had a single turnover in 69 minutes of play.
The Sun Devils (18-5, 7-3) host Stanford on Saturday to conclude their homestand against the Bay Area schools.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- UFC Legend Dan "Hendo" Henderson - Saturday June 15UFC great Dan Henderson joins The Power MMA Show to preview his UFC 161 bout vs Rashad Evans.
- Steve Patterson, ASU AD - Tuesday June 4Will Notre Dame be on the ASU football schedule? And, what does he think of E. Gordon Gee's comments
- Jeff Pendergraph, Indiana Pacers forward - Tuesday June 4Pacer and former ASU basketball player Jeff Pendergraph talks about Indiana's run in the playoffs
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 30What will be discussed at the upcoming meeting with the other Pac-12 athletic directors?
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works