Updated Feb 7, 2013 - 11:58 pm
Fork Report: Sun Devils escape with win over California
The Good: Ruslan Pateev, "the ultimate team player" according to head coach Herb Sendek, finished with as many points (12) as he had in his last four games combined. The scoring effort tied his career-high and he also grabbed eight rebounds (five on the offensive end).
Meanwhile, Evan Gordon led all scorers with 23 points. It was his fourth 20-point performance of the season.
The Bad: After taking a 15-point lead with 8:24 to play, the Sun Devils would score only one more field goal the rest of the game. They missed eight of their final nine shots at the basket while turning it over four times. ASU ended the game with 17 turnovers, 11 coming in the second half.
He Said It:
"We were a little bit like somebody who is forced to drive a stick shift but never had a real good lesson," Sendek said of his team's play down the stretch.
• Carrick Felix left the game three different times late in the second half after getting poked in the eye. He had some difficulty with his vision according to Sendek, who then added, "I just spoke with the doctors and he seems to be recovering fine."
• Jahii Carson's five turnovers were his most since conference play began. Last week against the Washington schools, he had a single turnover in 69 minutes of play.
The Sun Devils (18-5, 7-3) host Stanford on Saturday to conclude their homestand against the Bay Area schools.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!