Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you a fork report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU win over California February 7. Final score: ASU 66, California 62
The Good: Ruslan Pateev, "the ultimate team player" according to head coach Herb Sendek, finished with as many points (12) as he had in his last four games combined. The scoring effort tied his career-high and he also grabbed eight rebounds (five on the offensive end).
Meanwhile, Evan Gordon led all scorers with 23 points. It was his fourth 20-point performance of the season.
The Bad: After taking a 15-point lead with 8:24 to play, the Sun Devils would score only one more field goal the rest of the game. They missed eight of their final nine shots at the basket while turning it over four times. ASU ended the game with 17 turnovers, 11 coming in the second half.
He Said It:
"We were a little bit like somebody who is forced to drive a stick shift but never had a real good lesson," Sendek said of his team's play down the stretch.
• Carrick Felix left the game three different times late in the second half after getting poked in the eye. He had some difficulty with his vision according to Sendek, who then added, "I just spoke with the doctors and he seems to be recovering fine."
• Jahii Carson's five turnovers were his most since conference play began. Last week against the Washington schools, he had a single turnover in 69 minutes of play.
The Sun Devils (18-5, 7-3) host Stanford on Saturday to conclude their homestand against the Bay Area schools.
- New-look Arizona State Sun Devils will rely on defense in 2014-15
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Mike Bercovici, ASU quarterback - Monday October 20ASU quarterback Mike Bercovici says it was nice to take back the crown and get the win against Stanf
- Rick Neuheisel - Pac-12 Network Analyst - Friday October 17Rick Neuheisel believes it could be a rough weekend for the Sun Devils against Stanford.
- Todd Graham, ASU Head Football Coach - Friday October 17ASU football head coach Todd Graham says if Taylor Kelly feels he is ready to play he will play.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday October 15ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses the upcoming weekend for ASU Athletics.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday October 14ESPN college football analyst Mark May says anyone can win the Pac-12 South.