Updated Jan 30, 2013 - 1:56 pm
Is Jahii Carson following in James Harden's footsteps?
The commitment from highly-recruited James Harden from California provided hope for ASU's following season.
During Harden's freshman season with the Sun Devils, he led head coach Herb Sendek's team to a 21-12 record, just missing the NCAA Tournament. Harden shot 52% from the field, averaging 17.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game as a freshman.
Harden's departure for the NBA following his sophomore year left a considerable void, but history found a way to repeat itself four seasons later.
The arrival and performance of Jahii Carson, another highly-recruited talent, has turned heads throughout college basketball.
Just a year ago, the Sun Devils finished 10-21 under Sendek, his worst season since the year prior to Harden's arrival.
With Carson now at the helm, Sendek's 2012 season could potentially be one of the best during his 19-year coaching career. The Sun Devils' 16-4 start to the 2012-2013 campaign with a 5-2 Pac-12 conference record places them just outside of the top 25 and third in the conference.
People credit much of the Sun Devils' recent success to the 5-foot-10 point guard out of Mesa High School.
Through 20 games, Carson is averaging a Harden-like 17.3 points, 3.4 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game, while shooting 44% from the field.
While both players led their respective teams to 16-4 starts, Carson intends to do something that Harden didn't do his freshman season -- go to the NCAA Tournament. With 11 games left in the regular season before the Pac-12 Tournament, Carson's chances of doing so are looking pretty good.
- Lionel Hollins honored by ASU jersey retirement
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.