In 2006-07, the Arizona State basketball team finished a dismal 8-22 with only two conference wins.
The commitment from highly-recruited James Harden from California provided hope for ASU's following season.
During Harden's freshman season with the Sun Devils, he led head coach Herb Sendek's team to a 21-12 record, just missing the NCAA Tournament. Harden shot 52% from the field, averaging 17.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game as a freshman.
Harden's departure for the NBA following his sophomore year left a considerable void, but history found a way to repeat itself four seasons later.
The arrival and performance of Jahii Carson, another highly-recruited talent, has turned heads throughout college basketball.
Just a year ago, the Sun Devils finished 10-21 under Sendek, his worst season since the year prior to Harden's arrival.
With Carson now at the helm, Sendek's 2012 season could potentially be one of the best during his 19-year coaching career. The Sun Devils' 16-4 start to the 2012-2013 campaign with a 5-2 Pac-12 conference record places them just outside of the top 25 and third in the conference.
People credit much of the Sun Devils' recent success to the 5-foot-10 point guard out of Mesa High School.
Through 20 games, Carson is averaging a Harden-like 17.3 points, 3.4 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game, while shooting 44% from the field.
While both players led their respective teams to 16-4 starts, Carson intends to do something that Harden didn't do his freshman season -- go to the NCAA Tournament. With 11 games left in the regular season before the Pac-12 Tournament, Carson's chances of doing so are looking pretty good.
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Mike Norvell- ASU offensive coordinator - Thursday September 18Mike Norvell expresses his confidence in Mike Bercovici as a quarterback.
- D.J. Foster, ASU running back - Wednesday September 17D.J. Foster talks about why he chose to stay home and be a Sun Devil
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday September 17Ray Anderson explains why he and Todd Graham donated a combined $1,000,000 to the ASU stadium renova
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 Network analyst - Wednesday September 17Pac-12 Network analyst Rick Neuheisel breaks down the first few weeks of Pac-12 football.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 16ESPN college football analyst Mark May says ASU's game plan will have to change with backup QB Mike