Sendek: Difference is in team character
The Sun Devils currently stand tied with No. 8 Arizona for third place in the Pac-12, which is a drastic turnaround to last year's 10-win season put up by Herb Sendek's squad.
After Saturday's victory over UCLA at home, Sendek has noticed a major improvement in the team's play.
He told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday that the difference lies in the team's character.
"I think it was a real challenge for us last year; we obviously had to step in and take some action because we are historically known for a program with great character," Sendek said. "If nothing else we have been blessed with some super young men in our program and that's something we take a lot of pride in. We want to be a program that everybody could be proud of and is easy to cheer for."
After last season, ASU parted with sophomore guards Keala King and Chanse Creekmur as well as sophomre forward Kyle Cain. Junior guard Trent Lockett left for personal reasons before ending up at Marquette.
Sendek told the show recruiting was a big factor in last season's disappointing play.
"There were some recruiting misjudgments and because typically you don't change people that much," he said. "Maybe once in a while the light goes on but by the time guys are in college a lot of their character and a lot of their personality is formed."
The comparison between this year's and last year's team is night and day.
"This year I think it's just the opposite. We've returned to a place where we have an extremely high character quotient and our locker room is a place you love to be."
- UFC Legend Dan "Hendo" Henderson - Saturday June 15UFC great Dan Henderson joins The Power MMA Show to preview his UFC 161 bout vs Rashad Evans.
- Steve Patterson, ASU AD - Tuesday June 4Will Notre Dame be on the ASU football schedule? And, what does he think of E. Gordon Gee's comments
- Jeff Pendergraph, Indiana Pacers forward - Tuesday June 4Pacer and former ASU basketball player Jeff Pendergraph talks about Indiana's run in the playoffs
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 30What will be discussed at the upcoming meeting with the other Pac-12 athletic directors?
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works