Updated Jan 29, 2013 - 4:31 pm
Sendek: Difference is in team character
The Sun Devils currently stand tied with No. 8 Arizona for third place in the Pac-12, which is a drastic turnaround to last year's 10-win season put up by Herb Sendek's squad.
After Saturday's victory over UCLA at home, Sendek has noticed a major improvement in the team's play.
He told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday that the difference lies in the team's character.
"I think it was a real challenge for us last year; we obviously had to step in and take some action because we are historically known for a program with great character," Sendek said. "If nothing else we have been blessed with some super young men in our program and that's something we take a lot of pride in. We want to be a program that everybody could be proud of and is easy to cheer for."
After last season, ASU parted with sophomore guards Keala King and Chanse Creekmur as well as sophomre forward Kyle Cain. Junior guard Trent Lockett left for personal reasons before ending up at Marquette.
Sendek told the show recruiting was a big factor in last season's disappointing play.
"There were some recruiting misjudgments and because typically you don't change people that much," he said. "Maybe once in a while the light goes on but by the time guys are in college a lot of their character and a lot of their personality is formed."
The comparison between this year's and last year's team is night and day.
"This year I think it's just the opposite. We've returned to a place where we have an extremely high character quotient and our locker room is a place you love to be."
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.