Updated Jan 16, 2013 - 5:46 pm
Sun Devils' 2012 win over Arizona 'irrelevant' Saturday
The two schools will meet again on the same floor Saturday, but the participants on the ASU side aren't putting much stock in that game, which somewhat eased the pain of a disappointing season for the Sun Devils.
"Last year was last year, it was a good game between us but I mean, we have a different team, they have a different team," ASU senior forward Carrick Felix said Wednesday. "This year is definitely going to be a battle between both teams. We're both top teams in the Pac-12 right now so it's definitely going to be a 40-minute battle."
ASU head coach Herb Sendek echoed Felix's sentiments about last year's win.
"Irrelevant," he said. "New team, new team altogether, a new season. It's no more or less relevant than the games played two years ago, three years ago or in 1956.
"It would be a far reach to try and extrapolate any connection between that and this."
Only nine players combined on the teams' rosters saw action in last year's meetings, so what Felix and Sendek said does hold some truth. Even with all the new players on both sides who will get their first experience in the rivalry, both teams are vastly improved from a year ago.
The Sun Devils, with their 14-3 record, have already surpassed their win total from last season. The Wildcats (15-1) come into the game ranked seventh in the nation after having peaked at third in the AP Poll. Last season, Arizona was ranked as high as 15th in the nation in November, but failed to qualify for the NCAA Tournament for only the second time since 1984.
Saturday afternoon's contest, which can be heard on Arizona Sports 620, is sold out -- which has become a rarity for Sun Devil home games.
"It's exciting man," Felix said. "Playing in front of a sold-out crowd, I think any kid, any young adult would be excited to do this because you're on the big stage."
The Sun Devils have had the upper hand in the rivalry over the last five seasons, winning seven of the 11 matchups, including a 3-2 record at Wells Fargo Arena.
"Both teams are going to want it," Felix said. "It's definitely going to be a fun, exciting game."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!