When freshmen enter their first collegiate season -- or any athlete for that matter -- there is a game on the schedule that is highlighted from day one.
For most teams, the rivalry game becomes the thought in the back of their mind as it steadily approaches.
ASU freshman guard Jahii Carson has eyed the Sun Devils' game on January 19 before he even stepped on the court at Wells Fargo Arena.
"I'm excited, chomping at the bit," Carson said about his first match-up with Arizona on Saturday. "That's one of the games that you look forward to as a kid growing up wanting to play college basketball is the rival."
Like many college athletic programs, playing the rival becomes the biggest game of the year, and Carson doesn't see it as anything less.
"If you're a guy that wants to go to Duke, you dream about (North) Carolina, Michigan you dream about Michigan State, and Arizona (vs.) Arizona State is one of the games I've been looking forward to since the season started," Carson said.
Carson said his mindset will be key to help the Sun Devils take down the No. 7 team in the country.
"I just got to go in there just thinking it's a regular game," Carson said. "If I think about it in a positive state, just thinking about it as a must-win, and not that it's UA that we're playing against, I think I'll maintain my focus."
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Mike Norvell- ASU offensive coordinator - Thursday September 18Mike Norvell expresses his confidence in Mike Bercovici as a quarterback.
- D.J. Foster, ASU running back - Wednesday September 17D.J. Foster talks about why he chose to stay home and be a Sun Devil
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday September 17Ray Anderson explains why he and Todd Graham donated a combined $1,000,000 to the ASU stadium renova
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 Network analyst - Wednesday September 17Pac-12 Network analyst Rick Neuheisel breaks down the first few weeks of Pac-12 football.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 16ESPN college football analyst Mark May says ASU's game plan will have to change with backup QB Mike