USC made news Monday morning when athletic director Pat Haden fired head basketball coach Kevin O'Neill.
O'Neill was in his fourth season with the Trojans and had a 48-65 record with the school. This season, USC was 7-10 and 2-2 in the Pac-12 following a 76-59 win at Utah Saturday which snapped a 12-game road losing streak.
Bob Cantu, one of O'Neill's assistants, will guide the team on an interim basis.
But now the fun begins. Names of potential successors are already floating around, and that list includes a local figure, according to Yahoo! Sports' Marc Spears.
Musselman is in his first season on Herb Sendek's staff at Arizona State, and has played a part in the Sun Devils' resurgence in 2012-13. After splitting in Oregon over the weekend, ASU is 14-3 and 3-1 in Pac-12 play as they head home to host highly-ranked in-state rival Arizona Saturday in Tempe.
Interestingly enough, Spears pulled the tweet just moments after posting it.
- New-look Arizona State Sun Devils will rely on defense in 2014-15
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Mike Bercovici, ASU quarterback - Monday October 20ASU quarterback Mike Bercovici says it was nice to take back the crown and get the win against Stanf
- Rick Neuheisel - Pac-12 Network Analyst - Friday October 17Rick Neuheisel believes it could be a rough weekend for the Sun Devils against Stanford.
- Todd Graham, ASU Head Football Coach - Friday October 17ASU football head coach Todd Graham says if Taylor Kelly feels he is ready to play he will play.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday October 15ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses the upcoming weekend for ASU Athletics.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday October 14ESPN college football analyst Mark May says anyone can win the Pac-12 South.