Arizona State basketball has gotten off to a tremendous start this season under head coach Herb Sendek. The Devils boast a 13-2 record on the year and are 2-0 in Pac-12 play for just the fourth time in 35 years.
One of the biggest reasons for the Devils' success thus far has been the energetic and consistent play from senior forward Carrick Felix.
Sendek told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo on Tuesday Felix has become the heart and soul of Sun Devil basketball.
"He's had just a brilliant season to date," Sendek said. "He's just played with so much heart. I mean every second of every possession he just gives everything he has. He's really been fun to watch. He's been great to coach, just has had an exemplary attitude, tremendous leadership."
Felix earned his second Pac-12 Men's Basketball Player of the Week honors on Monday.
"He has literally given everything he has on every possession and it was great to see him recognized again as Pac-12 player of the week," Sendek stated.
The Devils' forward has averaged 15.1 points per game and leads the team with 7.9 rebounds. He has also performed exceptionally well in Pac-12 play, averaging 18.5 points in ASU's Pac-12 games against Utah and Colorado.
But statistics aside, Sendek is equally impressed with Felix's work ethic and how his game has evolved from his junior season.
"Just an incredible output of energy, display of heart and he worked incredibly hard to get ready for his final season and [Felix] has had some real flashes of excellence in the past but now he's just doing it consistently," Sendek said.
Felix has led by example which has bred success for him and the entire team.
"He really undertook the leadership of our team when last season ended," Sendek explained. "He has just been steady and consistent with that role for our basketball team and now that everybody is seeing the kind of success he's having I am sure on some level that makes it even easier and gives him even more credibility. But he hasn't been taking no for an answer for the last many months."
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 30ESPN college football analyst Mark May says the wheels could come off for ASU in a hurry.
- Rocky Harris - ASU Senior Associate Athletic Director - Wednesday September 24Arizona State Senior Associate Athletic Direct Rocky Harris expects a sellout when the Sun Devils fa
- Chris Foster - Los Angeles Times - Wednesday September 24Los Angeles Times reporter Chris Foster gives the UCLA perspective on Thursday night's game.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Wednesday September 24AZCentral sports reporter Doug Haller previews Arizona State's matchup with UCLA.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday September 24Dan discusses the newly found connection between the Arizona Cardinals and the Arizona State Sun Dev