Updated Jan 3, 2013 - 10:30 am
Fork Report: ASU opens Pac-12 play with overtime thriller against Utah
Carrick Felix had 17 points and 13 rebounds, his fourth double-double of the season to lead Arizona State.
Freshman Jahii Carson hit a clutch three-pointer to send the Devils into overtime and had the eventual game-winning bucket with :35 seconds left.
ASU improved to 12-2 on the season and opened Pac-12 play with a win.
Despite coming up with big baskets late, Carson did not have his best game. He was only 5-of-18 shooting and just 1-of-6 from three-point range.
ASU collectively had a poor night executing on offense, most notably on the final possession of regulation when they failed to run a play due to mismanaging the shot clock.
And the Sun Devils continued to struggle from the free throw line, hitting just 5-of-10 attempts on the night. Outside of Carson, ASU players hit just 1-of-6 from the stripe.
• This was ASU's first overtime game since a 73-72 loss at the hands of UCLA on January 29, 2011.
• Neither team led by more than six points throughout the contest.
• ASU's Jordan Bachynski and his brother Dallin faced off in Wednesday's game. The Sun Devil junior had 14 points to his brother's two.
• Bachynski suffered a leg cramp in overtime and missed most of the period, but the injury doesn't appear to be serious.
ASU will host Colorado at Wells Fargo Arena on Sunday, January 6. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 6:00 p.m.
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.