Updated Jan 3, 2013 - 10:30 am
Fork Report: ASU opens Pac-12 play with overtime thriller against Utah
Carrick Felix had 17 points and 13 rebounds, his fourth double-double of the season to lead Arizona State.
Freshman Jahii Carson hit a clutch three-pointer to send the Devils into overtime and had the eventual game-winning bucket with :35 seconds left.
ASU improved to 12-2 on the season and opened Pac-12 play with a win.
Despite coming up with big baskets late, Carson did not have his best game. He was only 5-of-18 shooting and just 1-of-6 from three-point range.
ASU collectively had a poor night executing on offense, most notably on the final possession of regulation when they failed to run a play due to mismanaging the shot clock.
And the Sun Devils continued to struggle from the free throw line, hitting just 5-of-10 attempts on the night. Outside of Carson, ASU players hit just 1-of-6 from the stripe.
• This was ASU's first overtime game since a 73-72 loss at the hands of UCLA on January 29, 2011.
• Neither team led by more than six points throughout the contest.
• ASU's Jordan Bachynski and his brother Dallin faced off in Wednesday's game. The Sun Devil junior had 14 points to his brother's two.
• Bachynski suffered a leg cramp in overtime and missed most of the period, but the injury doesn't appear to be serious.
ASU will host Colorado at Wells Fargo Arena on Sunday, January 6. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 6:00 p.m.
- Lionel Hollins honored by ASU jersey retirement
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.