Updated Dec 18, 2012 - 2:51 pm
Sendek: Depth, free throws concerns for ASU
ASU is off to a 9-2 start, and as promised, has played a more entertaining, up-tempo brand of basketball. Herb Sendek's Sun Devils are averaging 75.5 points per game, up from the 61 points per contest they posted a year ago.
With only two games remaining until the beginning of conference play, Sendek does have concerns about his team, with depth being one of them. Only seven players are currently averaging ten or more minutes of playing time. Four of ASU's five starters are averaging more than 30 minutes per game and the Sun Devils are getting only 6.3 points from their bench over the last three contests.
"Moving forward, it would be great to get at least one more guy involved in that rotation," Sendek told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday. "That's something we'd love to be able to do."
But who will it be? Senior point guard Chris Colvin was the early-season spark plug, averaging 10.8 points off the bench in Arizona State's first four contests. But Colvin's production has tailed off since then; he's averaging just 3.4 points while shooting .307 from the field in the last seven games.
Free throw shooting has been another issue for the Sun Devils, who are connecting on just 56.8% of their attempts in the last three games.
"What makes it even worse is we're getting to the free throw line -- in attempts, we're sixth in the nation," Sendek said. "We've actually made more free throws than our opponents have attempted but the problem is we're actually 62.9% from the line (for the year) and that's a lot of extra possessions right now that we're not cashing in on."
Arizona State plays its first true road game of the year Saturday at Texas Tech.
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday August 26Mark May shares his thoughts on the upcoming college football season.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 26Could the Sun Devils' offense be one of the most prolific in the Pac-12?