Patterson: 'Really pleased' with Sendek, ASU basketball
The Phoenix Suns might be mired in a seven-game losing streak -- their longest since February 2004 -- but their collegiate counterparts in Tempe are going in a much different direction.
For the first time since the 2008-09 season, Herb Sendek and the ASU men's basketball team are off to an 8-1 start. While they've yet to face stiff competition in their non-conference schedule, after a 10-win season a year ago, athletic director Steve Patterson is pleased with the quick turnaround.
"I'm really pleased," Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "Jordan Bachynski went for the first triple-double in school history [against Cal State Northridge]. Jahii Carson is the real deal. Carrick Felix is really playing well and has really matured over the last year.
"This team is a lot of fun to watch."
With Bachynski, Carson and Felix leading the way, the Sun Devils are averaging 79.0 points per game through their first nine games, good for third-best in the Pac-12 conference.
But even with their strides at the offensive end, ASU has remained true to their defense-first mentality. In their first nine games, the Sun Devils have not allowed a single opponent to shoot 50 percent or above.
So what's the secret to the surprising start?
"I think they are really well-coached," said Patterson referring to the job Sendek has done so far this season. "I think we certainly handle the ball much better with our new backcourt players. We're able to get the ball over half court and get into our offense.
"I think Jonathan Gilling has matured and is shooting the ball better. Carrick Felix is really athletic, and we're getting the ball up-and-down the court. And I like our coaching staff. A lot of great progress in just a year."
The Sun Devils will look to continue that progress Wednesday night at Wells Fargo Arena when they take on Oliver Purnell and DePaul Blue Demons.
- UFC Legend Dan "Hendo" Henderson - Saturday June 15UFC great Dan Henderson joins The Power MMA Show to preview his UFC 161 bout vs Rashad Evans.
- Steve Patterson, ASU AD - Tuesday June 4Will Notre Dame be on the ASU football schedule? And, what does he think of E. Gordon Gee's comments
- Jeff Pendergraph, Indiana Pacers forward - Tuesday June 4Pacer and former ASU basketball player Jeff Pendergraph talks about Indiana's run in the playoffs
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 30What will be discussed at the upcoming meeting with the other Pac-12 athletic directors?
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works