Updated Dec 11, 2012 - 5:27 pm
Patterson: 'Really pleased' with Sendek, ASU basketball
The Phoenix Suns might be mired in a seven-game losing streak -- their longest since February 2004 -- but their collegiate counterparts in Tempe are going in a much different direction.
For the first time since the 2008-09 season, Herb Sendek and the ASU men's basketball team are off to an 8-1 start. While they've yet to face stiff competition in their non-conference schedule, after a 10-win season a year ago, athletic director Steve Patterson is pleased with the quick turnaround.
"I'm really pleased," Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "Jordan Bachynski went for the first triple-double in school history [against Cal State Northridge]. Jahii Carson is the real deal. Carrick Felix is really playing well and has really matured over the last year.
"This team is a lot of fun to watch."
With Bachynski, Carson and Felix leading the way, the Sun Devils are averaging 79.0 points per game through their first nine games, good for third-best in the Pac-12 conference.
But even with their strides at the offensive end, ASU has remained true to their defense-first mentality. In their first nine games, the Sun Devils have not allowed a single opponent to shoot 50 percent or above.
So what's the secret to the surprising start?
"I think they are really well-coached," said Patterson referring to the job Sendek has done so far this season. "I think we certainly handle the ball much better with our new backcourt players. We're able to get the ball over half court and get into our offense.
"I think Jonathan Gilling has matured and is shooting the ball better. Carrick Felix is really athletic, and we're getting the ball up-and-down the court. And I like our coaching staff. A lot of great progress in just a year."
The Sun Devils will look to continue that progress Wednesday night at Wells Fargo Arena when they take on Oliver Purnell and DePaul Blue Demons.
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.