Fork Report: Efficient ASU tops Hartford
Jahii Carson scored 20 points and dished out six assists, while true freshman Eric Jacobsen pumped in a career-high 16 points and grabbed six rebounds in the ASU triumph.
The Good - ASU's offense was sharp throughout the ball game. For the game, the Devils shot 56.3% from the field, had 32 points in the paint and committed a season-low 10 turnovers.
Carrick Felix continued his stellar play with his second straight double-double. The senior from Goodyear had 11 points and 11 rebounds -- with seven boards in the final 6:38 of the game.
ASU's defense was pretty solid too, especially in the second half. After Hartford shot 50% in the first half, ASU limited the Hawks to just 29% shooting (9-of-31) after halftime.
The Bad - ASU's free throw shooting was horrendous. The Sun Devils went 11-for-23 from the line in the game, and could have made things a lot easier for themselves had they just converted from the line. Carson and fellow guard Chris Colvin combined to hit just 2-of-9 attempts.
When it was over - With 6:25 to go, ASU junior guard Evan Gordon hit a three-pointer from the left wing to stretch the Sun Devil lead to six at 60-54. Gordon's bucket ignited an 8-0 room that gave ASU some breathing room down the stretch.
He Said It - "I can't talk enough about Carrick. I can't remember coaching a guy, and I know there has been guys who give great effort, but it's hard to think of anybody right now who every possession, offensively and defensively, who has given the kind of effort and energy that Carrick is. I mean, he is laying his heart out. He's fun to watch, he's easy to cheer for. He is giving incredible effort." -- ASU head coach Herb Sendek on senior forward Carrick Felix.
What's next - The Sun Devils continue their home-heavy non-conference schedule Saturday afternoon as the Cal State-Northridge Matadors visit Wells Fargo Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 12:00 noon.
- ASU lands No. 3 seed in Pac-12 tournament despite loss
- Another slow start hampers Sun Devils in OT loss to Beavers: By the Numbers
- ASU's road comeback vs. OSU falls short in OT
- ASU athletic director hopes to make 'significant improvements' to men's basketball team
- Flat start dooms Sun Devils in loss to Ducks: By the Numbers
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.