Fork Report: Efficient ASU tops Hartford
Jahii Carson scored 20 points and dished out six assists, while true freshman Eric Jacobsen pumped in a career-high 16 points and grabbed six rebounds in the ASU triumph.
The Good - ASU's offense was sharp throughout the ball game. For the game, the Devils shot 56.3% from the field, had 32 points in the paint and committed a season-low 10 turnovers.
Carrick Felix continued his stellar play with his second straight double-double. The senior from Goodyear had 11 points and 11 rebounds -- with seven boards in the final 6:38 of the game.
ASU's defense was pretty solid too, especially in the second half. After Hartford shot 50% in the first half, ASU limited the Hawks to just 29% shooting (9-of-31) after halftime.
The Bad - ASU's free throw shooting was horrendous. The Sun Devils went 11-for-23 from the line in the game, and could have made things a lot easier for themselves had they just converted from the line. Carson and fellow guard Chris Colvin combined to hit just 2-of-9 attempts.
When it was over - With 6:25 to go, ASU junior guard Evan Gordon hit a three-pointer from the left wing to stretch the Sun Devil lead to six at 60-54. Gordon's bucket ignited an 8-0 room that gave ASU some breathing room down the stretch.
He Said It - "I can't talk enough about Carrick. I can't remember coaching a guy, and I know there has been guys who give great effort, but it's hard to think of anybody right now who every possession, offensively and defensively, who has given the kind of effort and energy that Carrick is. I mean, he is laying his heart out. He's fun to watch, he's easy to cheer for. He is giving incredible effort." -- ASU head coach Herb Sendek on senior forward Carrick Felix.
What's next - The Sun Devils continue their home-heavy non-conference schedule Saturday afternoon as the Cal State-Northridge Matadors visit Wells Fargo Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 12:00 noon.
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.