Fork Report: ASU routs Sacramento State
"It was exciting, I guess," downplayed Gordon when asked if he was happy to play well in front of his older sibling. "It was good to play good, I guess he won't critique me as much now."
There's not much to critique really. Gordon hit 5-of-9 three-point attempts and added five assists and three steals in the win.
The Good - After a sluggish performance against Arkansas-Pine Bluff Thursday night, the Sun Devils came out focused and ready to play. ASU hit their first three shots on the night, two of them three-pointers courtesy of Gordon, and stormed out to an 8-0 lead in the games first 1:42. The Devils would never trail.
It was great to see Gordon to get off to a good start from the field. The transfer from Liberty, who came to ASU with a reputation as a scorer, was shooting just 27% from the field and 21% from three-point range coming into the game.
ASU forward Carrick Felix recorded his first double-double of the season with 21 points and 12 rebounds, which marks a new career-high. The senior from Millennium High School in Goodyear has now scored in double figures in six straight games
Freshman post Eric Jacobsen was instrumental in ASU's quick start. The Hamilton High product had 4 points and 7 rebounds in 14 minutes off of Herb Sendek's bench. Jacobsen finished with 6 points and 9 rebounds.
ASU also made 11 three-pointers, their season high.
The Bad - Not much really...I suppose you could point to Jahii Carson only having three assists in the game to go along with five turnovers. In reality, two of the turnovers came on carrying calls -- the most subjective call in all of college basketball.
Like I said, there wasn't much.
Noted - ASU had 21 assists on 31 field goals -- tying a season-high in that category.
The Sun Devils' 11 turnovers were also a season-low.
ASU outrebounded the Hornets 47-36, including 15 on the offensive end -- their second-most on the season. The Sun Devils had 20 offensive boards in their season opener against Central Arkansas.
Next up: ASU will host Hartford Wednesday night in Tempe.
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.