Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 11:46 pm
No. 14 Creighton tops Arizona State
McDermott, the tournament's MVP, was 10 of 19 from the field for the Bluejays (6-0).
Ethan Wragge added 13 points, hitting three 3-pointers for Creighton.
Freshman Jahii Carson led Arizona State (4-1) with a season-high 30 points. He also had seven assists and four steals. He was 10 of 11 from the free-throw line.
Carrick Felix finished with 17 points and five rebounds for Arizona State.
After trailing 45-36 at halftime, the Sun Devils cut it to 59-53 on Carson's three-point play with 12:21 to play. The Bluejays answered with the next eight points as the Sun Devils never came closer than six the rest of the game.
Arizona State cut the lead to six late in the final minutes.
However, Wragge answered with a 3-pointer from the right corner with 2:22 left. That started a 7-0 run to seal it.
The Bluejays outscored the Sun Devils in second-chance points, 14-0.
Creighton scored the game's first seven points and built a 27-9 advantage with 11:53 until halftime. The Sun Devils responded with a 13-0 run. Arizona State cut the lead 37-31, but got no closer the rest of the half.
This is the teams' first meeting since 1974.
- Arizona State vs. Texas ranked as one of the top 2014 NCAA Tournament games
- Report: Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman resigns
- Report: ASU's Musselman a 'legitimate candidate' for South Florida job
- ASU AD Anderson: Good season, now must get better
- ASU coach Sendek: There's positive mojo with the Sun Devils
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday March 27Ray Anderson looks back on the Sun Devil men's basketball season.