Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 11:46 pm
No. 14 Creighton tops Arizona State
McDermott, the tournament's MVP, was 10 of 19 from the field for the Bluejays (6-0).
Ethan Wragge added 13 points, hitting three 3-pointers for Creighton.
Freshman Jahii Carson led Arizona State (4-1) with a season-high 30 points. He also had seven assists and four steals. He was 10 of 11 from the free-throw line.
Carrick Felix finished with 17 points and five rebounds for Arizona State.
After trailing 45-36 at halftime, the Sun Devils cut it to 59-53 on Carson's three-point play with 12:21 to play. The Bluejays answered with the next eight points as the Sun Devils never came closer than six the rest of the game.
Arizona State cut the lead to six late in the final minutes.
However, Wragge answered with a 3-pointer from the right corner with 2:22 left. That started a 7-0 run to seal it.
The Bluejays outscored the Sun Devils in second-chance points, 14-0.
Creighton scored the game's first seven points and built a 27-9 advantage with 11:53 until halftime. The Sun Devils responded with a 13-0 run. Arizona State cut the lead 37-31, but got no closer the rest of the half.
This is the teams' first meeting since 1974.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.