Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 11:46 pm
No. 14 Creighton tops Arizona State
McDermott, the tournament's MVP, was 10 of 19 from the field for the Bluejays (6-0).
Ethan Wragge added 13 points, hitting three 3-pointers for Creighton.
Freshman Jahii Carson led Arizona State (4-1) with a season-high 30 points. He also had seven assists and four steals. He was 10 of 11 from the free-throw line.
Carrick Felix finished with 17 points and five rebounds for Arizona State.
After trailing 45-36 at halftime, the Sun Devils cut it to 59-53 on Carson's three-point play with 12:21 to play. The Bluejays answered with the next eight points as the Sun Devils never came closer than six the rest of the game.
Arizona State cut the lead to six late in the final minutes.
However, Wragge answered with a 3-pointer from the right corner with 2:22 left. That started a 7-0 run to seal it.
The Bluejays outscored the Sun Devils in second-chance points, 14-0.
Creighton scored the game's first seven points and built a 27-9 advantage with 11:53 until halftime. The Sun Devils responded with a 13-0 run. Arizona State cut the lead 37-31, but got no closer the rest of the half.
This is the teams' first meeting since 1974.
- Chris Karpman, Publisher of ASUdevils.com - Thursday December 12ASU has one commitment among high school prospects in the state. What does this mean?
- Rocky Harris, Senior Associate Athletic Director - Thursday December 12The aftermath of the Sun Devils loss to Stanford.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game