Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 11:44 pm
Fork Report: Sun Devils fall to Creighton in Vegas
The Good: Jahii Carson. The freshman point guard out of Mesa High School is quite simply one of the funnest ASU basketballers to watch in recent memory. Carson had 30 points on 9-of-17 shooting, had four steals and handed out a team-high seven assists in the loss. Carson is averaging 21 points per game in his first five collegiate contests.
The Bad: ASU looked shell-shocked to begin the game. Creighton, behind All-American Doug McDermott, sprinted out to a 7-0 lead in the first 62 seconds of the game, and never looked back. After McDermott knocked down a jumper and was fouled by Jonathan Gilling with 11:55 to go in the first half, the Blue Jays led 27-9 and the game looked to be out of reach. But to the Sun Devils' credit, they fought back and got to within six points with just about 12 minutes to go in the contest.
Noted: Creighton's bench outscored ASU's 28-8.
The Blue Jays never trailed in the game.
ASU center Jordan Bachynski, who was leading the nation in blocked shots with 6.5 per game entering the contest, didn't have a block in 21 minutes of playing time Saturday. In fact, there was only one blocked shot in the game, and that belonged to ASU reserve forward Kenny Martin in the closing minutes.
The last time Bachynski didn't have a blocked shot was last March 23 in a 66-57 loss to UCLA.
Up next: The Sun Devils return home for their next six contests, starting with a date against Arkansas-Pine Bluff Wednesday night at Wells Fargo Arena.
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.