Updated Oct 20, 2012 - 2:46 pm
Jahii Carson shines at ASU Maroon and Gold scrimmage
Carson led all scorers, hitting 6-of-11 two-point shots and 2-of-3 three pointers during Saturday's Maroon and Gold scrimmage at Wells Fargo Arena.
For good measure, Carson added two assists, three steals and four deflections on defense. For a player with a lot of expectations heaped upon him, the freshman was just glad to be back and playing with his teammates after being academically ineligible a year ago.
"I definitely feel like a monkey is off my back," Carson said. "Being out here playing, it feels so good."
Carson averaged 32.2 points per game in his senior season at Mesa, and his ineligibility in 2011-12 was a harbinger of things to come for Herb Sendek's squad that finished a dismal 10-21 campaign.
Carson's presence heading into this season has made a difference around Tempe according to Sendek.
"Ticket sales are going really well, we're all pointing toward that season opener November 10," he said.
Carson isn't the only new face who will play a key role for the Sun Devils this season. In all, seven new players are on the roster, including guard Evan Gordon, a transfer from Liberty and the younger brother of New Orleans Hornets guard Eric Gordon.
Gordon hit 3-of-5 shots and a three-pointer during Saturday's session.
"One thing Evan can do is score," Sendek said. "If he'll take good shots, he really gives us a scoring dimension."
Sendek also singled out senior forward Carrick Felix for his leadership -- an important ingredient for this year's squad in the aftermath of Trent Lockett's transfer to Marquette following last season.
"He's just done a great job with leadership as a fifth-year senior, a young man who has already graduated and is working on his Master's program, he's just been a real consistent voice for our team," Sendek stated. "He's been positive, he's been encouraging, but he's also been firm when he's had to."
Felix, a product of Millennium High School in Goodyear, is ASU's leading returning scorer as he averaged 10.5 points per contest in 2011-12.
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?