UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
After the departure of senior B.J. Denker, as many as five players have a shot to be the UA's signal caller when the Wildcats take the field for the first time on Aug. 29 against UNLV. So, it makes sense that Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez said he doesn't expect a starter to be named by the end of spring camp.
"I don't expect us to have a particular pecking order done by the spring but I would hope that there are at least two or three that we feel we could win with," Rodriguez said after Monday's practice.
"It's all about reps. We rep everyone all practice. By the end of spring, they will have plenty of time to evaluate and figure it out."
None of Arizona's quarterbacks have taken a meaningful college snap. Redshirt freshman Anu Solomon and sophomore Connor Brewer are likely the two favorites to win the job, though they'll be competing with senior Jesse Scroggins, junior Nick Isham and junior Jerrard Randall.
"We won't sacrifice tempo to teach," said Rodriguez, who is known for his up-tempo offensive system.
"They've got to learn at our pace. Most of those quarterbacks have been around long enough to know that they have to learn at a faster pace. They did OK today. We only had two pass plays in."
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- 2014 UA Hall of Fame inductee Dick Tomey: Rich Rodriguez 'the right man at the right time' for Wildcats
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.