Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
The originally scheduled season-opener vs. UNLV will be moved a day ahead from the initial Saturday kickoff and will be played on Fri., Aug. 29 at Arizona Stadium.
Not only do the schedule changes affect the season opener, but the second game of the season will also be moved to an earlier date of Thurs., Sept. 4 when the Wildcats play UTSA in the Alamo Dome.
"I think these are exciting schedule changes for our fans with national audiences able to watch us play," Arizona Athletics Director Greg Byrne said. "We had a good crowd for the 2013 season opener on a Friday night and we expect a similar result in 2014. There's a lot of excitement surrounding our football program right now and these games add to that."
Arizona defeated UNLV and UTSA in back-to-back games last season by scores of 58-13 and 38-13, respectively.
With the schedule changes, Arizona is slated to play four weekday games this upcoming season, including a Thursday game at Oregon (Oct. 2) and a Friday game vs. ASU (Nov. 28).
"We're excited to add two weekday games to our schedule," head coach Rich Rodriguez said. "Being so early in the college football season, there will be a lot of excitement surrounding these games."
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.