Proposed NCAA rule change has coaches pretty upset
Here in the state of Arizona, both ASU (Todd Graham) and Arizona (Rich Rodriguez) look to snap the ball while taking little time off the play clock.
However, a proposed rule would lead to a penalty on the offense if the ball is snapped with more than 29 seconds remaining, supposedly in an effort to promote better football and player safety.
Needless to say, some coaches are not too pleased with the idea. More on the proposed rule change can be found here.
So I hear the football rules committee wants to slow the game down and make you wait ten seconds to snap--and penalty is delay of game!#wow— Rich Rodriguez (@CoachRodAZ) February 12, 2014
When you snap the ball has always been a fundamental edge for the offense- what's next-- 3 downs like Canada?#LetsGetBoring— Rich Rodriguez (@CoachRodAZ) February 12, 2014
Fundamental advantage for defense- pre snap movement- maybe that should be reviewed? #WhoMakesTheseRules— Rich Rodriguez (@CoachRodAZ) February 12, 2014
Mike Leach on NCAA not allowing teams to snap before 29 seconds on play clock: "First off, doubt it will pass. Second, it's ridiculous….— ESPN Pac-12 (@ESPN_Pac12blog) February 12, 2014
Leach (cont.): All this tinkering is ridiculous. I think it deteriorates the game. It's always been a game of creativity and strategy….— ESPN Pac-12 (@ESPN_Pac12blog) February 12, 2014
Leach: "So anytime someone doesn't want to go back to drawing board or re-work their solutions to problems, they beg for a rule."— ESPN Pac-12 (@ESPN_Pac12blog) February 12, 2014
Rich Rod on 29 second rule tied to safety: "Where's all the data that proves this is a player safety issue? I don't buy it."— ESPN Pac-12 (@ESPN_Pac12blog) February 12, 2014
Rich Rod: "It's ridiculous. And what's most ridiculous is did you see what penalty is going to be called? Delay of game!"— ESPN Pac-12 (@ESPN_Pac12blog) February 12, 2014
One coach I texted about the proposed 10-second rule replied: "Is that real? I thought it was a joke. No way that passes."— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) February 12, 2014
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.