Arizona's Carey has overcome off-the-field issues for strong season
In December 2012, Carey was charged with misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct due to a domestic violence incident with his girlfriend. Then in January, Carey was removed from an Arizona basketball game after a run-in with a McKale Center security guard. As a result of the first issue, Carey was suspended for the first game and a half of the 2013 season.
Despite the off-the-field issues, Carey has been able to overcome those struggles and Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne attributed his turnaround to his character.
"One of the things about Ka'Deem is he'll listen to you, and he'll give you feedback," Byrne told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley Show on Wednesday.
"He has so much going for him," Byrne added. "He's got a smile and a personality that's contagious. If he does well on the football field at the next level, he's going to have a lot of opportunities to better himself and better his family, both on and off the field."
Carey, who played his high school ball at Canyon Del Oro High School in Tucson, can leave for the NFL Draft following this season. Byrne said his program's job is to prepare Carey for life in the NFL.
"We want to make sure he's in a position to capitalize on that and have the most success that he can," Byrne added. "He understands he has a great opportunity ahead of him, and he's done a gone job doing everything we've asked him to do and obviously I think the future for him is very bright."
On the season, Carey has 1559 yards and 16 touchdowns on the ground. On Monday, he was named a finalist for the Doak Walker Award, which is given each year to the country's top collegiate running back.
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.