Updated Nov 26, 2013 - 7:35 pm
Wildcats QB B.J. Denker on ASU: 'I hope they're ready for us; they need to be'
Wildcats quarterback B.J. Denker told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Tuesday what UA has riding on its upcoming game at Sun Devil Stadium.
"I don't think that there should be any motivational factor, except for the fact that they're Arizona State. That should be enough," the quarterback said. "Obviously, we want to take that cup back to Tucson, and they've got a lot riding on that game. But we're just focusing on trying to go into Phoenix, going up north, and take care of business and bring the cup home for our fans."
Denker said he doesn't know what kind of credence the Sun Devils are placing on the matchup, but was confident the Wildcats will give them a competitive game.
"It'll make it sweeter if we win, definitely, to ruin a little bit of their party" the 6-foot-3 senior said. "You know, I can't say how their focus is up there (in Tempe), but I hope they're ready for us; they need to be."
Denker said the Sun Devils better look out for star Wildcats running back Ka'Deem Carey, who was named the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week Monday after carrying the ball 48 times for 206 yards and four touchdowns in the win over Oregon.
"He's our workhorse. He's a special guy," the quarterback said. "And the crazy thing is he could have went for another 10 carries (against Oregon); that's how physically dominant he is.
"He's just a great football player, and I'm honored to play next to him and hand him the football. He's incredible."
As for what he expects from ASU's defense on Saturday, Denker said he thinks the Sun Devils will "load up the box" to stop Carey. Even if the defense does that, Denker said, it may still have a tough time stopping the Wildcats running back and it might open up UA's passing game.
"I feel like if our offensive line takes care of business up front and does what they can do and what they should do," he said, "Ka'Deem will get a lot of touches, I'll get a lot of opportunities with my feet, and that's going to put 1-on-1 coverage outside. And I'll take our receivers over their DBs any day; I've got so much confidence in those boys."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.