Updated Nov 12, 2013 - 12:21 pm
Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez: Hard to stomach loss to UCLA
UCLA, then No. 16 in the country, was fortunate to have left the raucous that was Arizona Stadium on Saturday with a win, given the Wildcats' plethora of chances to take the lead and/ or win the contest. Rodriguez's side was more disciplined, got more first downs, didn't give up a sack and punted better and less often, but a pair of costly plays would ultimately decide their fate.
"We had some opportunities there to maybe get ahead or to win that game and we just didn't make it happen," the coach explained to The Doug and Wolf show on Tuesday.
"And I'm sure every team could say that after every game. But, you know, there was a fumble on the goal line, we messed up a 4th and short up inside the red zone, and then we gave up two big plays that shouldn't have happened."
The first play Rodriguez mentions, the goal line fumble, came when running back Ka' Deem Carey leapt for the end zone, the score then 24-10 UCLA, and lost the ball before crossing the plane, erasing a four-minute, 78-yard drive which included 15 and 16-yard passes and a handful of nickel and dime rushes along the way. Despite Arizona's resilience to get the game close, the turnover would have undoubtedly changed the complexion of the game. And it will undoubtedly go down as one of the ‘opportunities' Rodriguez spoke of when he reflected on the loss.
"They're a good team and they've got some good athletes," the second-year coach went on. "But our effort was pretty good and the crowd was into it; we just did not execute when we needed to.
"Our margin for error is very thin, you know, you mess up a few times against a solid team, you're not going to win."
Arizona is set to face Washington State Saturday in Tucson before rounding out their season vs. No. 6 Oregon and at No. 21 Arizona State. The Wildcats are currently 6-3 (3-3, Pac-12) and fourth in the Pac-12 South.
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.