Cat Tracks: Carey, Denker lead ground attack as UA wins second straight on the road
After 60 minutes of play, that recipe was more than enough, as Rich Rodriguez's squad claimed their second straight road victory by a final of 33-28 .
The victory marked the first time in Rodriguez's tenure that the Wildcats have won consecutive contests away from Tucson.
While Denker impressed with his arm -- 261 yards passing, one touchdown and no interceptions -- in the five-point victory, his career day was highlighted by his mobility.
UA's junior quarterback ran for a career-high three touchdowns on scampers of one, nine and 14 yards respectively.
Although he wasn't able to accompany his quarterback in the end zone, Carey had another dominant day running the football. On 32 carries, Carey ran the ball for 152 yards -- marking the fifth time he's run for at least 130 this season.
With two picks of Cal quarterback Jarod Goff Saturday, including one in the end zone by Jourdon Grandon at the beginning of the fourth quarter, Arizona's defense now has 12 interceptions in 2013 -- matching its total from all of last season.
Cal wide receiver Kenny Lawler came into Saturday's contest with zero touchdown receptions on the season. Yet somehow the freshman managed to torched UA's secondary, finding the end zone on three separate occasions. He finished with six catches for 72 yards on the day.
- Jake Smith's 53-yard field goal in the second quarter was the longest by a UA kicker since Nick Folk back in Nov. 2004.
- Carey's 11th straight 100-yard performance vs. Cal set a new school record Saturday.
- Freshman wideout Nate Phillips' 21-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter was his fourth score of the season. He has a touchdown reception in each of his last four games.
- Senior receiver Terrence Miller's 60-yard grab in the third quarter was the longest pass play completed by Denker in 2013.
The Wildcats head back to Tucson in search of a season-high fourth straight victory when they take on No. 20 UCLA on Nov. 9 at Arizona Stadium. Kick-off is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. MST
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Wildcats' Carey wins Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year
- The Pulse: Fans expecting an ASU win over Arizona
- The Pulse: Taylor Kelly will be the most important player in the 2013 Territorial Cup
- Three ways Arizona beats ASU, three ways the Wildcats lose to the Sun Devils
- A Wildcat remembers his favorite memories of the Territorial Cup
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.