Cat Tracks: Carey, Denker lead ground attack as UA wins second straight on the road
After 60 minutes of play, that recipe was more than enough, as Rich Rodriguez's squad claimed their second straight road victory by a final of 33-28 .
The victory marked the first time in Rodriguez's tenure that the Wildcats have won consecutive contests away from Tucson.
While Denker impressed with his arm -- 261 yards passing, one touchdown and no interceptions -- in the five-point victory, his career day was highlighted by his mobility.
UA's junior quarterback ran for a career-high three touchdowns on scampers of one, nine and 14 yards respectively.
Although he wasn't able to accompany his quarterback in the end zone, Carey had another dominant day running the football. On 32 carries, Carey ran the ball for 152 yards -- marking the fifth time he's run for at least 130 this season.
With two picks of Cal quarterback Jarod Goff Saturday, including one in the end zone by Jourdon Grandon at the beginning of the fourth quarter, Arizona's defense now has 12 interceptions in 2013 -- matching its total from all of last season.
Cal wide receiver Kenny Lawler came into Saturday's contest with zero touchdown receptions on the season. Yet somehow the freshman managed to torched UA's secondary, finding the end zone on three separate occasions. He finished with six catches for 72 yards on the day.
- Jake Smith's 53-yard field goal in the second quarter was the longest by a UA kicker since Nick Folk back in Nov. 2004.
- Carey's 11th straight 100-yard performance vs. Cal set a new school record Saturday.
- Freshman wideout Nate Phillips' 21-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter was his fourth score of the season. He has a touchdown reception in each of his last four games.
- Senior receiver Terrence Miller's 60-yard grab in the third quarter was the longest pass play completed by Denker in 2013.
The Wildcats head back to Tucson in search of a season-high fourth straight victory when they take on No. 20 UCLA on Nov. 9 at Arizona Stadium. Kick-off is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. MST
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.