Cat Tracks: Carey, Denker lead ground attack as UA wins second straight on the road
After 60 minutes of play, that recipe was more than enough, as Rich Rodriguez's squad claimed their second straight road victory by a final of 33-28 .
The victory marked the first time in Rodriguez's tenure that the Wildcats have won consecutive contests away from Tucson.
While Denker impressed with his arm -- 261 yards passing, one touchdown and no interceptions -- in the five-point victory, his career day was highlighted by his mobility.
UA's junior quarterback ran for a career-high three touchdowns on scampers of one, nine and 14 yards respectively.
Although he wasn't able to accompany his quarterback in the end zone, Carey had another dominant day running the football. On 32 carries, Carey ran the ball for 152 yards -- marking the fifth time he's run for at least 130 this season.
With two picks of Cal quarterback Jarod Goff Saturday, including one in the end zone by Jourdon Grandon at the beginning of the fourth quarter, Arizona's defense now has 12 interceptions in 2013 -- matching its total from all of last season.
Cal wide receiver Kenny Lawler came into Saturday's contest with zero touchdown receptions on the season. Yet somehow the freshman managed to torched UA's secondary, finding the end zone on three separate occasions. He finished with six catches for 72 yards on the day.
- Jake Smith's 53-yard field goal in the second quarter was the longest by a UA kicker since Nick Folk back in Nov. 2004.
- Carey's 11th straight 100-yard performance vs. Cal set a new school record Saturday.
- Freshman wideout Nate Phillips' 21-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter was his fourth score of the season. He has a touchdown reception in each of his last four games.
- Senior receiver Terrence Miller's 60-yard grab in the third quarter was the longest pass play completed by Denker in 2013.
The Wildcats head back to Tucson in search of a season-high fourth straight victory when they take on No. 20 UCLA on Nov. 9 at Arizona Stadium. Kick-off is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. MST
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.