Cat Tracks: Arizona brings rushing stampede to Colorado, wins 44-20
But when the football wasn't tucked under the arms of quarterback B.J. Denker, who ran for 192 yards, or running back Ka'Deem Carey, who had four touchdowns on 23 carries, the Wildcats' offense was effective just the same.
Denker completed 21 of his 32 passing attempts -- good for 265 yards and a touchdown -- while kicker Jake Smith knocked down all three of his field goal attempts, complementing his five extra points.
Arizona set the tone early, stopping Colorado's game-opening drive and countering with a 14-play, 88-yard drive of their own, which ended with a seven-yard touchdown run by Carey, who ultimately logged a score in each quarter of the game. Carey, the nation's leading rusher, finished the contest on the sideline -- with coach Rich Rodriguez's second stringers in -- with 119 yards to his name.
Denker, meanwhile, broke runs of 54 yards -- a career long -- and 46 yards as part of his 192 yards, which was the highest rushing total of his career.
The Wildcats' offensive output was extremely balanced throughout the contest, putting up double-digit scoring in each quarter and converting seven of their 16 third downs.
Carey and Denker continue to make plays for coach Rodriguez, whose offense is averaging over 36 points per game.
Denker's statistical output was slightly blemished by the quarterback's second-quarter interception, which Colorado turned into a go-ahead field goal.
Arizona stays on the road, heading to Berkeley, Cali. to play the 1-7 Cal Golden Bears Saturday, Nov. 2.
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.