Cat Tracks: Arizona brings rushing stampede to Colorado, wins 44-20
But when the football wasn't tucked under the arms of quarterback B.J. Denker, who ran for 192 yards, or running back Ka'Deem Carey, who had four touchdowns on 23 carries, the Wildcats' offense was effective just the same.
Denker completed 21 of his 32 passing attempts -- good for 265 yards and a touchdown -- while kicker Jake Smith knocked down all three of his field goal attempts, complementing his five extra points.
Arizona set the tone early, stopping Colorado's game-opening drive and countering with a 14-play, 88-yard drive of their own, which ended with a seven-yard touchdown run by Carey, who ultimately logged a score in each quarter of the game. Carey, the nation's leading rusher, finished the contest on the sideline -- with coach Rich Rodriguez's second stringers in -- with 119 yards to his name.
Denker, meanwhile, broke runs of 54 yards -- a career long -- and 46 yards as part of his 192 yards, which was the highest rushing total of his career.
The Wildcats' offensive output was extremely balanced throughout the contest, putting up double-digit scoring in each quarter and converting seven of their 16 third downs.
Carey and Denker continue to make plays for coach Rodriguez, whose offense is averaging over 36 points per game.
Denker's statistical output was slightly blemished by the quarterback's second-quarter interception, which Colorado turned into a go-ahead field goal.
Arizona stays on the road, heading to Berkeley, Cali. to play the 1-7 Cal Golden Bears Saturday, Nov. 2.
- Arizona's Ka'Deem Carey a USA Today All-American
- Arizona RB Ka'Deem Carey files paperwork to NFL Draft advisory board
- Bowls feature impressive gift packages for participating teams
- Arizona accepts invitation to play Boston College in the 2013 AdvoCare V100 Bowl
- Wildcats' Carey wins Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.