Academy football teams begin 2nd uncertain week
(AP) - The service academy football teams are preparing to play this weekend's games amid some uncertainty because of the partial government shutdown.
Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk says he is providing more information to the Defense Department that shows the academy will not use government funds to play at Duke on Saturday. He said, "No one has told us we can't play."
Air Force plays at home against San Diego State on Thursday night. Army is home against Eastern Michigan.
The Defense Department last week temporarily suspended sports competition at the academies because of the budget impasse in Congress that led to the shutdown. But the academies were allowed to play football because no government money was used.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.