Arizona coach Rodriguez doesn't expect team to suffer Wisconsin-like fate
He saw the Wisconsin Badgers be on the wrong side of a blown call by the referees, which helped Arizona State escape with a big 32-30 win.
The Pac-12 has since reprimanded the officials who were involved, but that does not change the fact that Wisconsin may have lost a game it should have had a chance to win.
Rodriguez, who has has seen the replays, understands why there was confusion on the game's final play -- especially from the officials -- on whether or not Wisconsin QB Joel Stave actually knelt with the ball, which helped spawn the controversy.
"A lot of people are talking about that, and I can see why," he said. "That's a lesson I bet every coach in America, high school, college, pros, are talking about.
"Be defined when you do that and hand the ball to the official so there is no gray area at all."
That, Rodriguez said, is what he coaches his team to do. Had Stave taken a knee and handed the ball to a ref, the Sun Devils would not have thought he fumbled and therefore would not have jumped on the ball. Wisconsin then would have then been able to spike the football before attempting the game-winning field goal.
"I think everybody centers the ball or has that play where you center the ball," the second-year coach said of the same sequence. "We have a rule anyway, and sometimes we have to get on our guys, whether you're on offense or defense, if you've got the ball in your hands when the play is over...you hand the ball to the official.
"We prefer that they hand it to the umpire so that way the ball gets spotted quicker."
The coach added that's something the team works on in practice, and does not expect it to ever be an issue for the Wildcats.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.