Updated Sep 15, 2013 - 8:24 am
Cat Tracks: Denker's big night leads to seventh straight non-conference win for UA
The margin of victory was not all that surprising, however, who shined in the blowout was noteworthy to say the least.
Coming into Saturday night's contest, quarterback B.J. Denker was 17-of-34 for 168 yards and a touchdown on the season. Against the Roadrunners, the UA senior nearly duplicated those totals. Denker threw a 13-yard touchdown pass to freshman wideout Samajie Grant and ran for another 35-yard score in the first quarter, and from there the rout was on.
On the night, Denker was 14-of-21 for 158 yards to go along with three total touchdowns.
Ka'Deem Carey rushed for over 100 yards and had two touchdowns in the 25-point victory. Carey now has 22 rushing touchdowns in his last 11 games.
In all, the Wildcats rushed for 264 yards.
Grant's touchdown catch in the first quarter was the first of his collegiate career.
Three of Drew Riggleman's four punts were downed inside the UTSA 20-yard line.
Despite Denker's big game and a dominate night on the ground, UTSA nearly outgained UA (422 yards to 379 yards).
UTSA's David Glasco II only ran the ball 10 times, but he had 70 yards rushing and a touchdown.
With the win, Arizona moved to 7-0 in non-conference play under Rich Rodriguez.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats (3-0) will have a week off before going up to Seattle to open up Pac-12 play against the Washington Huskies (2-0) on Sept. 28. Last season, UA took down Steve Sarkisian's squad 52-17. Game time has yet to be determined.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.