Updated Sep 15, 2013 - 8:24 am
Cat Tracks: Denker's big night leads to seventh straight non-conference win for UA
The margin of victory was not all that surprising, however, who shined in the blowout was noteworthy to say the least.
Coming into Saturday night's contest, quarterback B.J. Denker was 17-of-34 for 168 yards and a touchdown on the season. Against the Roadrunners, the UA senior nearly duplicated those totals. Denker threw a 13-yard touchdown pass to freshman wideout Samajie Grant and ran for another 35-yard score in the first quarter, and from there the rout was on.
On the night, Denker was 14-of-21 for 158 yards to go along with three total touchdowns.
Ka'Deem Carey rushed for over 100 yards and had two touchdowns in the 25-point victory. Carey now has 22 rushing touchdowns in his last 11 games.
In all, the Wildcats rushed for 264 yards.
Grant's touchdown catch in the first quarter was the first of his collegiate career.
Three of Drew Riggleman's four punts were downed inside the UTSA 20-yard line.
Despite Denker's big game and a dominate night on the ground, UTSA nearly outgained UA (422 yards to 379 yards).
UTSA's David Glasco II only ran the ball 10 times, but he had 70 yards rushing and a touchdown.
With the win, Arizona moved to 7-0 in non-conference play under Rich Rodriguez.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats (3-0) will have a week off before going up to Seattle to open up Pac-12 play against the Washington Huskies (2-0) on Sept. 28. Last season, UA took down Steve Sarkisian's squad 52-17. Game time has yet to be determined.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.