Arizona coach Rodriguez: QB B.J. Denker 'has played pretty well'
The wins, over clearly inferior opponents, featured defensive touchdowns as well as an excellent running game.
One thing neither contest has had, though, is a quality passing effort from quarterback B.J. Denker.
The senior, who won a tightly-contested competition in camp for the starting role, has completed just 17-of-34 passes for 168 yards and one touchdown. He has yet to throw an interception and has rushed for 134 yards and three touchdowns, but has missed on too many throws to open receivers.
Yet, as a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday, UA coach Rich Rodriguez did not sound too concerned.
"B.J. has played pretty well, particularly the decision-making in the run game, which in our offense, as we've said many times, our quarterback has to make a lot of decisions in the run game, too, and he's been really sharp with that," he said. "We've missed on a few passes, but we've been close and we're getting better at that in practice."
Indeed, the Wildcats' run game has been excellent thus far, with the team tallying 703 yards and eight touchdowns on 103 carries. Senior Daniel Jenkins leads the way with 218 yards and one score, with All-American Ka'Deem Carey right behind with 171 yards and two scores.
But those statistics have been built against one FCS team and one bottom-tier FBS squad, and after Arizona's game against UTSA Saturday, only Pac-12 foes -- with Pac-12 defenses -- remain on the schedule. So, it stands to reason, Denker is going to have to start connecting on a few more passes in order to keep defenses from stacking the box to stuff the run.
Rodriguez understands that, but sees promise in his senior signal caller.
"I think he's been very efficient," he said. "He's been out there, he's run the system, he's been able to make a few adjustments, he's seeing the game well, and I think he'll keep getting better."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.