NCAA: Notre Dame transfer Neal ineligible in 2013
UA head coach Rich Rodriguez announced at his weekly press conference Monday that Neal, who filed for a hardship waiver with the NCAA to play immediately after transferring from Notre Dame, had his appeal denied.
Rodriguez said the UA will apply for a final appeal, but "it doesn't look good" for Neal to be declared eligible for any part of the 2013 season. Neal still has a redshirt year available.
"That's a little disappointing — more than a little disappointing," Rodriguez said. "I could go into great detail, but I don't want to waste y'all's time on what some of my opinions are on some of the NCAA's rulings."
Neal, a 5-foot-10, 176-pound sophomore receiver, applied for a hardship waiver on the basis that he left Notre Dame to be closer to his girlfriend and newborn daughter. The university filed for the appeal at the beginning of August and waited more than a month for a ruling.
Neal recorded just one catch as a freshman, but served as the primary punt returner for a Fighting Irish team that played for the national title.
"The only thing I'll say about some of the things with the NCAA is they're consistent with being inconsistent," Rodriguez said. "Now with this last ruling to come down, I'm not overly optimistic simply because I don't understand some of the inconsistencies of the NCAA.
"We're all frustrated by it and disappointed, but DaVonte' has a great attitude about it and he'll have three years of eligibility left starting next fall."
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.