Updated Sep 7, 2013 - 11:27 pm
Cat Tracks: Wildcats rout Rebels
Visitors of the UNLV Rebels Saturday night, Rich Rodriguez's team dazzled, routing the opposition 58-13 behind 16 kicking points from Jake Smith and 397 yards rushing from Ka'Deem Carey, B.J. Denker and company.
The Wildcats got out to a 17-0 lead in the first quarter and the score was 45-6 by the time they entered the locker room at halftime. Denker got a pair of rushing touchdowns in the first 12 minutes of the game, turning a scramble into a 35-yard score for the game's first touchdown. Then, Carey returned to the field for the Wildcats, making his presence known in the second quarter with a 58-yard touchdown run.
Rodriguez laid off the throttle in the second half, when Arizona settled for a field goal in the third quarter and 10 points in the fourth.
The Wildcats improved to 2-0 with the win, after beating Northern Arizona last week and they play another non-conference opponent, University of Texas at San Antonio, next Saturday.
Ka'Deem Carey was sensational in his return to the field, logging 171 yards and two touchdowns rushing, including his explosive 58-yarder.
Although B.J. Denker was once again effective as a rusher, gaining 63 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries for the Wildcats, his passing efforts were lackluster. Denker was 8-for-20 for 81 yards in the air on the night.
Jake Smith set Arizona's school record for points by a kicker Saturday, with 16.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats head back to Tucson to take on the UTSA Roadrunners, who are 1-1 after losing 56-35 to Oklahoma State Saturday.
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.