Arizona football coach Rodriguez addresses QB competition, defense
He did, however, hint that senior B.J. Denker was ahead in the battle for the starting position.
"B.J. Denker was a frontrunner coming in," Rodriguez said. "In the beginning of camp it was a mix, and in the last week or so B.J. has gotten better. He's still the frontrunner but we've got a few more practices before the week is over."
Rodriguez also noted that four players have been getting reps in the QB spot, including true freshman Anu Solomon.
"With the inexperience we have, it's an ongoing competition," Rodriguez said. "We treat this position like the rest of them; rolling guys in and getting them a lot of reps. Whoever the best one is at game time gets the start."
The quarterback contenders may not live up to last year's quarterback, Matt Scott, but they have shown improvement and that they are capable at the position, Rodriguez said.
Rodriguez also announced during the press conference that the squad has remained relatively healthy as a result of less hitting during practices.
This adds depth because fewer players are injured, however, practicing without hitting has proved difficult for the defense, according to senior defensive lineman Tevin Hood.
Hood said he knew the offense was happy about less hitting, but personally, he was upset.
"You go full speed but you have to tone it down because you don't want to hurt people," Hood said. "With no contact, you can't really play defensive or offensive line, so that was just something we had to get used to."
The Wildcats will open the season this Friday against NAU at Arizona Stadium. Kick-off will be at 7 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network.
UA football also released its first depth chart of the season, with starters for positions such as quarterback, kicker, linebacker and slot still to be determined. This competition results in better performances from the players, Rodriguez said.
"If you want to elevate the performance of the guys, bring in competition," he said.
This story was courtesy of the Arizona Daily Wildcat.
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.