Undrafted rookie Dan Buckner looking to turn some heads in training camp
Yet, the undrafted free agent told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo his goal right now is simply to have his Arizona Cardinals coaches notice him.
And he says they are.
"Coach says I'm getting better every day," Buckner said. "That's what you've got to do as a rookie guy.
"You've just got to get better, try to get some eyes on you and try to get some reps in practice and the preseason games coming up."
Buckner joined the Cardinals after playing the last two seasons for the Arizona Wildcats in Tucson. As a senior last year, he tallied 61 receptions for 773 yards and five touchdowns.
Obviously the numbers were not enough to get Buckner drafted, but his skill set was intriguing enough to have the Cardinals take a flier.
And he chose them in large part because of the uncertainty facing the team's wideouts following the top three of Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Andre Roberts.
"I had a few places...we have three established guys here and then the rest are in the mix, so it's the best opportunity for an undrafted free agent receiver," he said.
Buckner believes he's made the most of his chances, and heading into his first preseason game Friday against the Green Bay Packers he plans on heeding the words of his head coach.
"One thing coach B.A. says is when you got those plays (in games), 'Don't get exposed, get exposure,'" he said. "So that's what I'm going to try to do."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.