Undrafted rookie Dan Buckner looking to turn some heads in training camp
Yet, the undrafted free agent told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo his goal right now is simply to have his Arizona Cardinals coaches notice him.
And he says they are.
"Coach says I'm getting better every day," Buckner said. "That's what you've got to do as a rookie guy.
"You've just got to get better, try to get some eyes on you and try to get some reps in practice and the preseason games coming up."
Buckner joined the Cardinals after playing the last two seasons for the Arizona Wildcats in Tucson. As a senior last year, he tallied 61 receptions for 773 yards and five touchdowns.
Obviously the numbers were not enough to get Buckner drafted, but his skill set was intriguing enough to have the Cardinals take a flier.
And he chose them in large part because of the uncertainty facing the team's wideouts following the top three of Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Andre Roberts.
"I had a few places...we have three established guys here and then the rest are in the mix, so it's the best opportunity for an undrafted free agent receiver," he said.
Buckner believes he's made the most of his chances, and heading into his first preseason game Friday against the Green Bay Packers he plans on heeding the words of his head coach.
"One thing coach B.A. says is when you got those plays (in games), 'Don't get exposed, get exposure,'" he said. "So that's what I'm going to try to do."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.