Undrafted rookie Dan Buckner looking to turn some heads in training camp
Yet, the undrafted free agent told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo his goal right now is simply to have his Arizona Cardinals coaches notice him.
And he says they are.
"Coach says I'm getting better every day," Buckner said. "That's what you've got to do as a rookie guy.
"You've just got to get better, try to get some eyes on you and try to get some reps in practice and the preseason games coming up."
Buckner joined the Cardinals after playing the last two seasons for the Arizona Wildcats in Tucson. As a senior last year, he tallied 61 receptions for 773 yards and five touchdowns.
Obviously the numbers were not enough to get Buckner drafted, but his skill set was intriguing enough to have the Cardinals take a flier.
And he chose them in large part because of the uncertainty facing the team's wideouts following the top three of Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Andre Roberts.
"I had a few places...we have three established guys here and then the rest are in the mix, so it's the best opportunity for an undrafted free agent receiver," he said.
Buckner believes he's made the most of his chances, and heading into his first preseason game Friday against the Green Bay Packers he plans on heeding the words of his head coach.
"One thing coach B.A. says is when you got those plays (in games), 'Don't get exposed, get exposure,'" he said. "So that's what I'm going to try to do."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.